Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The incidental internship offer (!!)

Crazy story. McKay sent me an email Thursday morning for an actuarial analyst assistant position that recently opened at Cambia Health Solutions so that I can apply to more positions and increase my chances for getting into the company. So. I get home after my tutoring hours on campus and a few hours later I call my HR connection at Cambia, to find out about addressing the cover letter to someone.

HR PERSON: Hi, this is [name].

ME: Hi, [name], this is Tyler Heasley. I applied to an internsh—

HR PERSON: Tyler! You must be psychic or something. I was just about to call you!

ME: Oh!

HR PERSON: Yeah, I was just preparing an email for you and I was literally looking up your phone number this very minute. Our team was very impressed with you from your interview, and we want to offer you an actuarial internship position at our Portland office!

CRAZY, right?? So so so so cool. I was sitting in my office chair in our bedroom and turned to look at Karen, who was sitting on the bed. My eyes were wide, her eyes were wide, and her jaw was dropped. She could hear the whole conversation apparently. She pointed at her phone and mouthed, “Can I text people?” and I nodded yes. The rest of my phone conversation is such a blur because I could hardly remain focused at all. It was such a surprise.

HR PERSON: Do you have any questions for me right now?

ME: I...don’t know. This conversation is not at all what I expected it to be.

HR PERSON: Oh, haha! What was it you were calling me about?

I explained that I learned of another position and figured I’d try other angles of applying so that I could find my way into the company. She then reaffirmed that the internship experience is an excellent opportunity to get to know the company. She added that many of their interns are eventually hired on full-time.

If I had to sum up the phone call, I’d say it was easily one of the most surprising calls I’ve ever had. And there was much laughter on both sides. I HAVE AN ACTUARIAL INTERNSHIP!! Pretty exciting.

Karen, of course, told her entire family and is much relieved. She feels like a huge weight is gone. When I called McKay and told him, he was super excited. He told McKenna and I could hear her very audible gasp. (If you know McKenna, you know what I’m talking about.) So now, of course, we’ll have to start making plans as to how we’re going to get out there, where we’ll live, etc. Oh yeah, and there’s a baby coming in the middle of the internship. This year is gonna be nuts. And amazing.

4 comments:

  1. Like Lawrence Welk used to say, "a wunnerful, a wunnerful."
    Very, very exciting for all of you.
    -Den

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tank you, tank you! I feel honored to have Lawrence Welk mentioned on my blog.

      Delete
  2. It was so unexpected. And amazing.

    We are so excited!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you wrote this all down Tyler because I loved reading the details of how that exciting day unfolded. This will be a very unforgettable summer, on several different levels!

    ReplyDelete