Thursday, March 21, 2013

The toddler speaks

Rich is picking up new words and phrases at a very rapid rate. Several times a day I ask him to say something and he gives it a try. Here’s an exchange that happened this afternoon.

ME: Richie, say Grant.
RICH: ...
ME: Richie, can you say Grant?
RICH: Ken.

I think that one went well. I asked him a few more times later and he said Ken again. Here’s another one, my personal favorite for the day. It happened in the car.

ME: Richie, we’re going to Cafe Rio to get some dinner.
RICH: ...
ME: Richie, say Cafe Rio.
RICH: ...
ME: Richie, can you say Cafe Rio?
(brief pause)
RICH: Yes.

After dinner I decided to head upstairs to use the bathroom before Rich’s shower. He still sat in his highchair, so I kissed Karen and then kissed Rich and headed up. But as I gave him a kiss on the head he said, “Hi!”, which cracked me up. He usually says “Bye” if anything, so it surprised me.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It would be great if you could hear what he has to say everyday. I got a good snapshot in this post, but it's fun to hear what comes out of his mouth.

      Delete
  2. Richie and I are a lot alike. If you asked me if I could say "Cafe Rio", I'd give the same answer. We both tend to be "literal communicators."

    ReplyDelete